Cooking is a rewarding way to help kids build real-life skills.
Engage your family (and pets) in the magic of cooking with these interactive kits that include the tools kids need to get started. Through cooking, children will gain valuable experiences that last a lifetime, such as:
- Teamwork and sharing
- Following directions
- Math and science skills
- Kitchen safety
Cook up some love for your pets: Make your own cat or dog treats!
Create bakery-style treats for your furry friends with the Make Your Own Cat Treats Kit or Make Your Own Dog Treats Kit from MindWare! Each kit includes gourmet recipes to make healthy, homemade snacks for your brainy pets. Professional decorating hints and supplies create finished goodies worthy of gift giving! Both kits feature themed baking equipment like a pet-shaped spatula, biscuit cutter and biscuit stamper, treat bags with ribbon and gift tags, and a full-color recipe booklet. The Cat Treats Kit also includes a fish-shaped porcelain treat tray to decorate with coordinating food-safe porcelain paint and a brush; the Dog Treats Kit includes 24 cupcake liners and 6 decorating bags for applying delicious-to-doggies icing. Ages 8 and up.
According to Animal Planet, there are major benefits to having a pet:
- Research shows that having a pet in the home can actually lower a child’s likelihood of developing related allergies by as much as 33 percent. In fact, children exposed early on to animals tend to develop stronger immune systems overall.
- One of the fringe benefits of taking on the responsibility of pet ownership is that animals can be an instant icebreaker, whether they’re with you or you’re just using them as a topic of conversation. People sometimes have a hard time getting to know each other and pets can be the common denominator that helps them connect, even among people who don’t seem to be very much alike.
- Findings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institute of Health (NIH) showed that pet owners exhibit decreased blood pressure, cholesterol and triglyceride levels — all of which can ultimately minimize their risk for having a heart attack down the road. For those who have already experienced a heart attack, research also indicates that patients with a dog or a cat tend to have better recovery rates.
- Need a little motivation in the exercise department? Dogs can act as the perfect personal trainer, if only because most of them need to be walked several times a day.
- Pets are a great way to beat the blues. Not only are they known to offer unconditional love, but they may also give their owners a sense of purpose, which can be crucial for those feeling down in the dumps. Pets also combat feelings of loneliness by providing companionship, which can boost your overall mood and even bring you feelings of joy and happiness.
This Saturday, June 4, is Hug Your Cat Day!
Watch for a step-by-step review of the Make Your Own Dog Treats with my dog Archie before National Dog Day on August 26, 2016!
Looking for more ways to spend time in the kitchen with your kids?
Check out the MindWare Playful Chef line! With kits for children as young as 3, even the littlest chef in your family will love using the utensils to create delicious recipes of all kinds. The measuring cups and spoons are color coded so children can instantly recognize the correct measurements while following the recipe cards. These detailed recipe cards are filled with colorful illustrations, fun facts, nutrition, extra kitchen activities and safety tips.
(Remember, cooking should always be supervised by an adult!)
What creations are you cooking up?